Leather Work Discussion Forums
A Beginner's Guide to Leather Working - Printable Version

+- Leather Work Discussion Forums (http://leathercrafting.org)
+-- Forum: Bulletin Board (http://leathercrafting.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started with Leather Work (http://leathercrafting.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: A Beginner's Guide to Leather Working (/showthread.php?tid=5)

A Beginner's Guide to Leather Working - Rick - 01-04-2017

A Beginner's Guide to Leather Working

Have you ever wanted to get in to leather work? But don't know where to start, or what to buy? Well you have found the right place, here is the good news! Leather work is one of the most simplistic hobbies or business to get in too.

Here is some even more better news for you! With this beginners guide to leather work you will find everything you need to know and what to buy wherever it be leather or some tools.

HOW TO START LEATHER WORKING

PICK OUT A PROJECT
What I noticed when I first started leather crafting is to make something that you like or that you use everyday, this way you are making something you will most likely keep to remind you of you first actual leather product also to actually keep you motivated. Doing this will keep you focus on learning more is what I personally found out my self. I also noticed when starting leather work is to pick a project that is small to actually understand the tools and what each of them actually does.

LEARN THE SKILLS NEEDED
There are numerous of basic skills that are required in leather work and each project requires different skill sets. Some require cutting, some require edge finishing while others will require stitching. There are also some higher skills but you will learn them on your journey in leather work. Starting out in leather work you should always remember to start small projects and work your way up to bigger projects (You can find projects located here).

UNDERSTAND THE BASIC TOOLS
Your most probably at the point where you understand what tools are used for or you may have even started a project. You should really have the basic understanding of leather work now (you can find a guide here on information about the tools and what they are used for).

PURCHASE YOUR FIRST PIECE OF LEATHER
With so many different leathers to choose from it will be kind of hard on what to choose from when starting out in leather work. With an understanding of what project you’re going to make, the things you’ll want to look for are the different tanned, weight, temper and finish (you can find everything here on buying leather).

FIND THE RIGHT TOOLS TO PURCHASE
There are many places where you can buy tools from, you can even pick up starter kits for different types of projects, we also sell beginners kits here. Your mainly looking for quality products so finding the best place to purchase from can be tricky but all you need to know is the person your buying it from.

COMPLETE YOUR FIRST LEATHER WORKING PROJECT
Once you have finished your leather work project and you have recorded in writing or video we would be honored for you to post it here. 

(Note: This will be edited and updated at a later date)